Thursday, July 15, 2010

Two Bean Salad

This salad was another result of the particularly successful farmer's market haul I mentioned in my last blog.

I had already made the lemon pepper two bean salad the day before, but thought that it would be better suited as the main component of a fresh veggie salad. I am off to the farmer's market again in a couple of hours so, hopefully, I come back with an even better selection of fresh, local, and organic produce.



Lemon Pepper Two Bean Salad
(you can use any 2 types of beans you would like. Also, I used dried beans as opposed to canned beans and soaked them overnight. Most cans are lined with Bisphenol-A, so I have been making an effort to avoid them as much as possible.)

15 ounces garbanzo beans (1 can)
15 ounces pinto beans (1 can)
1 1/2 cups parsley, finely chopped
1 large lemon, juiced
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
*apple cider vinegar can also be used
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
dash of salt (optional)
drizzle of grade B maple syrup (optional)

Directions:

1. Drain and rinse your canned beans. Rinse in ice cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel and pour into a large mixing bowl.

2. Juice your lemon and add juice to mixing bowl.

3. Chop your parsley and add to mixing bowl. Also add in vinegar, pepper and optional maple syrup and salt.

4. Toss salad well - with a folding motion. Try not to mash beans. Transfer to serving dish.

5. Cover, and place salad in the fridge to chill for at least 15 minutes. Longer is fine too.

6. Serve chilled on its own, or as a side dish.


original recipe link


For the salad:

I made a simple sesame vinaigrette from white vinegar and sesame oil (to taste). I tossed that with red lettuce. Next, I layered sliced cucumbers and tomatoes all around the plate. I spooned the bean salad in the middle, and topped with a small amount of almond "mozzarella" cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Niki! this is great. I am definitely doing a revamp of my eating habits this summer... glad I found your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks darling!! I am so glad I found your blog, too. I really look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete