Friday, July 23, 2010

Raw Carrot and Vegetable Soup

My adventures in raw are progressing, albeit very slowly. As I move closer to this world, I have been trying to omit the salt. Generally, it hasn't been difficult...until I made this soup. Pureed carrots and filtered water as a base do not really pack a lot of flavor. This is where the line between eating for entertainment, and eating purely for nourishment is drawn.

Looking back, I think if I would have blended the carrot with the tomatoes, it may have resulted in a better flavor. Or, I could have blended a few pieces of wakami or arami to supplement the salty flavor that I craved.

I have read that the longer you go raw, the better your palate becomes at picking up subtle flavors that our American palettes (that are so heavily relaiant on salt and sugar) can't even taste. I will get there. :-) It may even further refine my wine palate! Who knows??

First, I put one large carrot, one small clove of garlic, and one small serrano pepper into the food processor with probably about a cup of filtered water. I pureed until nearly liquefied. Next, I added fresh, juicy, heirloom tomato chunks, and thin slices of crisp spinach, and sweet yellow peppers. Finally, I cracked a touch of black pepper over the top, and served cold.

You will probably want salt...:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment