Thursday, July 8, 2010

Tempeh Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes

That was a long hiatus that I don't wish to take again...It's been a busy summer! My dad came to visit, then my position was cut at work, then my sister came to visit, then I got a new job, then I went on vacation and, finally, I decided to take a few minutes for me.

I enjoyed a trip to the weekly evening farmer's market near my neighborhood where I made a serious haul for a mere $20. Included in that were 3 perfect heirloom tomatoes.

Tonight, I decided to beat the heat and indulge in a genuine tomato and tempeh dish that required very little from my stove top.

This recipe comes from a wonderful website I just discovered entitled, "Healthy Happy Life." I didn't alter a thing which, as you know, is rare for me. I am sure I will be re-posting several of her recipes on my food blog as they all seem to be pretty fantastic. Here is the original recipe: http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/04/tempeh-pesto-stuffed-tomatoes.html

Tempeh Pesto Stuffed Tomatoes
serves two

2 beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes
1 cup
pesto (recipe below)
1 cup tempeh, sliced into thin strips
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp black pepper
salt, to taste
1 lemon, juiced
garnish: salt pepper, fresh basil


Tomato Prep:
Slice out the stem of the tomato.
Slice into tomato at a deep angle on all sides until you are able pull the top off.
Hollow out the tomato. Keep 1/4 inch thick tomato rind still in tact.
Use removed tomato flesh when making the pesto.
Repeat for each tomato you are stuffing.


Roasted Walnut Cheesy Pesto
makes about 1 1/3 cups

1 large lemon, juiced
1 cup maple-toasted walnuts
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 tsp black pepper
1 large bunch of basil, leaves
1/2 cup flat parsley, chopped
2-3 Tbsp vegan Parmesan cheese (I like the one in the purple shaker bottle)
5-7 cloves of garlic
2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp fresh oregano
1 jalapeno, de-stemmed (de-seeding optional)
flesh from one of the cored tomatoes

To make:
Maple-toasted Walnuts:
Saute walnuts on high heat with 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 Tbsp of maple syrup for 2 minutes.
Add walnuts to food processor.
Add basil, salt, lemon juice, cheese, pepper, parsley, garlic, olive oil, oregano and jalapeno to food processor. Blend on high until thick and fully processed. Pesto should be nutty and smooth, but not over-blended.


Tempeh:
Turn heat on high.
Place 1 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan.
Add tempeh. Lay the tempeh strips in one layer in bottom of pan.
Add in 3 Tbsp of lemon juice, 1 Tbsp of maple syrup and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Let saute for 2 minutes.
Flip tempeh. Bottom side should have browned up nicely. If not, cook this side a bit longer than the first.
Add a bit more lemon juice and another dash of the remaining salt and pepper.
When tempeh is done, set aside.

Tomato Assembly:
Spoon 1 heaping spoonful of pesto on the bottom of the tomatoes.
Place one of the limper tempeh strips over the pesto in the bottom of the tomato.
Add in a few more spoonfuls of pesto and arrange 4-5 tempeh strips sticking out of the tomato. Spoon another final bit of pesto. Garnish with fresh basil and leftover candied walnuts and/or pine nuts (whatever you used in the pesto.)
Grind fresh black pepper on top.

Place tops back on tomato if you wish, or leave them open.

I indulged in my stuffed tomato with a glass (or 3, let's be serious) of riesling kabinett. I found that the saltiness and slight spice of the pesto paired really well with the sweetness of the riesling.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment