Monday, May 17, 2010

Falafel Salad with Lemon Sesame Vinaigrette

When I walked into my kitchen last night, I had no agenda. No plan, no recipe...I just knew that I was hungry and I had somewhere to be in an hour.

I took a peek into my freezer and found these falafel style patties (Sunshine Patty brand) and quickly decided that I wanted to incorporate one into a salad.

As I was considering what type of dressing I should make, I started thinking about other Mediterranean-style food, which led me to hummus. I thought about the components of hummus, which led me to lemon juice and sesame seeds, which led me to sesame oil--and that sounded delicious.

First, I grilled one falafel patty according to the package directions.

While, the falafel patty was grilling, I juiced 1 lemon into a small prep bowl, then slowly whisked in sesame oil to taste. I added a few drops of agave nectar to cut the acidity.

Next, I grabbed a generous handful of arugula and tossed into a mixing bowl. In the future, I am not sure that I would use arugula if there were other options, but it is what I had in my house, and it was quite good. Romaine or spinach would also be good choices.

I poured what I considered to be an appropriate amount of dressing onto the greens (which left me with a fair amount of dressing for later), and tossed.

Next, I threw a handful of cherry tomatoes and a tablespoon of slivered almonds into the bowl, and tossed.

Finally, I arranged the salad onto my plate, cracked a bit of black pepper and sea salt over the salad, then crumbled the falafel patty over the top of the salad.

The finished product took less than 15 minutes and turned out to be very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment